You’ve probably heard it so many times and you may already be sick of it:
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is well thought-out to be the most important meal, especially so for children and adolescents, because it breaks the overnight fasting period. Breakfast provides you with the energy and nutrients that show the way to increased concentration in the work or at school. It has also been proven that skipping breakfast can hurt your child’s IQ.
During a rushing morning, it’s trouble-free to let breakfast fall low in your list of priorities, but taking just a few minutes to have something to fill your tummy can really make a difference to your day. Without breakfast you are effectively running on empty, like trying to start the car with no petrol!
Also, some people skip breakfast in an effort to lose weight, but that’s not a good idea. Read on to find out why breakfast is a vital meal.
- It boosts brain activity. Your mental health also benefits from eating breakfast, mostly one that contains whole grains. Children, in particular, need a good breakfast to help them function well and think clearly at school. Countless studies have proven how eating breakfast can enhance memory and concentration levels. Just like any other organ in the body, the brain needs energy to work at its best!
- It fills our energy needs. The longer you go without eating, the more your body starts to slow and shut down. Our energy needs differ depending on activity levels and life stage but normally, men have more needs of energy than women.
- Breakfast is good for the heart. Researchers have also confirmed that adults who have a years-long habit of skipping breakfast tend to have higher cholesterol, higher LDL and higher insulin levels. These are all precursors to heart disease and diabetes.
- Breakfast improves your metabolism. Your metabolism has a tendency to decrease when you go to sleep. Eating breakfast helps you jumpstart your metabolism. We all know that a faster metabolism will allow you to burn more calories during the day, another reason why regularly eating breakfast will help you weigh less.
While breakfast is important, what you eat is important as well. If your idea of breakfast is a doughnut and a cup of coffee, or sugary cereal and a glass of fruit juice, you’re setting the stage for metabolic chaos. Fortunately, breakfast can be flavorful as well as healthy.
Easy-to-prepare breakfast food suggestions:
- whole-wheat or wholegrain breakfast cereals, such as wheat biscuits, muesli or bran cereals
- porridge, such as quick oats
- fresh fruits
- wholemeal or multigrain bread to toast
- muffins or crumpets
- toast toppings, such as baked beans, eggs, cheese or spreads
- fruit or plain yoghurts
- fresh fruit juices
- low-fat milk.
If you skip breakfast, it’s possible that you could be going up to 12 hours or longer without any food – that’s not something you should just ignore. It is very important for you to make time for your morning meal.
Just in case you need a reminder as to why you should wake up and nourish your body – here – eat a healthy breakfast each day!